Anonymous Pont du Carrousel and the Grande Galerie du Louvre, Paris
Medium Daguerreotype (1/4 plate)
Mount in original frame
Photo Date 1840-45 Print Date 1840-45
Dimensions 2-3/4 x 3-1/2 in. (70 x 89 mm)
Photo Country France
Photographer Country France
Contact Alex Novak and Marthe Smith
About This Image
Size refers to the part of the image showing.
La Grande Galerie or Galerie du Bord was an attempt to unite the Tuileries and the Louvre. It was built for Henry IV by the architect Androuet du Cerceau. It was reconstructed from the Pavillon de Flore to the windows of the Carrousel from 1861-1865 by Lefuel.
The photographer took this image from Quai Malaquais, near Rue Bonaparte. The bridge of the Carrousel here visible was built between 1831 and 1834, partly in cast iron, by the engineer Polonceau. It was demolished and rebuilt in 1938.
See: Braive, "L'âge de la Photographie", p.34.
- "A Century of Photography from Niepce to Man Ray", Museum of Decorative Arts, Paris, 1965-1966 (Catalogue no. 309, but not reproduced.)
- "Malerei und photographie im Dialog: von 1840 bis heute", Kunsthaus, Zurich, 1977.
- "Paris and the Daguerreotype", Musée Carnavalet, Paris 1989-1990. (Reproduced as a full page in the Catalogue, p.94 cat.5.).
Provenance: Collection Michel F. Braive; Gerard Levy collection.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.