Adolphe Braun & Co. Vertical Panorama of Ruins of Temple of Castor and Pollux
Medium Carbon print
Mount on original mount trimmed to edges
Photo Date 1890s Print Date 1890s
Dimensions 26 x 17-1/2 in. (660 x 445 mm)
Photo Country Italy
Photographer Country France
Contact Alex Novak and Marthe Smith
About This Image
Despite its remains including only four columns, the Temple of Castor and Pollux is now the symbol of modern Agrigento, Sicily. The corner of "Temple of Castor and Pollux" is in a fact a modern reconstruction from the early 19th century, created using pieces from various other temples. It includes four columns and an entablature mounted over the foundings of an originary temple (31 x 13.39 m), and which would have been a Doric perypteros with 6 x 13 columns, and which would have dated to about the mid-5th century BC. The Valley of the Temples, where this ruin stands, is one of the most outstanding examples of Greater Greece art and architecture, and is one of the main attractions of Sicily as well as a national monument of Italy. The area was included in the UNESCO Heritage Site list in 1997. Much of the excavation and restoration of the temples was due to the efforts of archaeologist Domenico Antonio Lo Faso Pietrasanta (1783–1863), who was the Duke of Serradifalco from 1809 through 1812. The archaeological park and landscape of the Valley of the Temples is the largest archaeological site in the world with 1,300 hectares.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.