Provenance: old collection of J. Harrison, Jr. purchased in 1861.
This is the oldest, and ranks first among the four great "patriarchal" basilicas of Rome. The site was, in ancient times, occupied by the palace of the family of the Laterani. Between the basilica and the city wall there was in former times the great monastery, in which dwelt the community of monks whose duty it was to provide the services in the basilica. The only part of it which still survives is the cloister, surrounded by graceful columns of inlaid marble. They are of a style intermediate between the Romanesque proper and the Gothic, and are the work of Vassellectus and the Cosmati. The date of these beautiful cloisters is the early part of the 13th century.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.
Medium Albumen print from wet plate negative
Mount on original mount
Photo Date 1850s Print Date 1861c
Dimensions 10-1/8 x 14-1/2 in. (257 x 368 mm)
Photo Country Italy
Photographer Country Italy
Contemporary Works / Vintage Works, Ltd.