John Brampton Philpot The Duomo and the Campanile, Florence, Italy

Price $1,500
Sale Price $1,050

Ref.# 13377

Medium Albumen print from waxed paper negative

Mount on original mount

Photo Date 1856  Print Date 1850s

Dimensions 8-3/16 x 10-7/16 in. (208 x 265 mm)

Photo Country Italy

Photographer Country United Kingdom (UK)

Contact Alex Novak and Marthe Smith

Email info@vintageworks.net

Phone +1-215-822-5662

Company
Contemporary Works / Vintage Works, Ltd.


Main Image
Description

 

Share This

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedinShare on pinterestShare on tumblrShare via email

About This Image

Photographer's blindstamp on bottom recto of mount. Titled in contemporary light pencil on bottom recto of mount,

Born in England in 1812, John Brampton Philpot resided in Florence, Italy from about 1850 until his death in 1878. In 1856 Philpot made 30 calotypes which record the sculpted figures of the Tuscan "pantheon" in the exterior niches of the Uffizi. A series of 28 calotypes of Florence date from the same period, for four of these were exhibited in 1856 at the Photographic Society of Scotland in Edinburgh. Also in the 1850s Philpot produced facsimiles of drawings in the Uffizi in connection with a proposal to compile an inventory of the collection. Baedeker mentioned this aspect of Philpot's production in his 1877 Handbook for Northern Italy, listing Philpot's business as one of the principal photographic establishments in Florence: "Philpot & Co., Borgo Ognissanti 17 (reproductions of Uffizi drawings)." The blindstamp here lists an earlier address for Philpot at "Lungo L Arno 1187, Firenze". Philpot also exhibited at the Firenze Esposizione Italiana in 1861, which may be where Harrison saw his work.

Provenance: old collection of J. Harrison, Jr. purchased in 1861.

The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (English: Basilica of Saint Mary of the Flower) is the main church of Florence, Italy. The Duomo, as it is ordinarily called, was begun in 1296 in the Gothic style to the design of Arnolfo di Cambio and completed structurally in 1436 with the dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi. The exterior of the basilica is faced with polychrome marble panels in various shades of green and pink bordered by white and has an elaborate 19th-century Gothic Revival façade by Emilio De Fabris.

The cathedral complex, located in Piazza del Duomo, includes the Baptistery and Giotto's Campanile. The three buildings are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site covering the historic centre of Florence and are a major attraction to tourists visiting the region of Tuscany. The basilica is one of Italy's largest churches, and until development of new structural materials in the modern era, the dome was the largest in the world. It remains the largest brick dome ever constructed.

Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.

Photo Detail | John Brampton Philpot - The Duomo and the Campanile, Florence, Italy