Provenance: old collection of J. Harrison, Jr. purchased in 1861.
The Pantheon is a building commissioned by Marcus Agrippa as a temple to all the gods of Ancient Rome, and rebuilt by Emperor Hadrian in about 126 AD. It is one of the best-preserved of all Roman buildings. It has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Roman Catholic church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" but informally known as "Santa Maria della Rotonda." The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda.
As the best-preserved example of an Ancient Roman monumental building, the Pantheon has been enormously influential in Western architecture from at least the Renaissance on; starting with Brunelleschi's 42-meter dome of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, completed in 1436. Some have gone so far as to describe the Pantheon's form as "perhaps the most influential...in Western Europe", and it is held as a "symbol of the highest architectural excellence". The style of the Pantheon can be detected in many buildings of the 19th and 20th centuries; numerous city halls, universities, and public libraries echo its portico-and-dome structure.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.
Medium Albumen print from wet plate negative
Mount on original mount
Photo Date 1850s Print Date 1861c
Dimensions 10-15/16 x 14-5/16 in. (278 x 364 mm)
Photo Country Italy
Photographer Country Italy
Contemporary Works / Vintage Works, Ltd.