Anonymous St Martin's Church, Colmar (or Colmer), Alsace, France
Medium Autochrome (1/4 plate)
Mount in glass mount
Photo Date 1910c Print Date 1910c
Dimensions 4-3/4 x 3-1/2 in. (121 x 89 mm)
Photo Country France
Photographer Country France
Contact Alex Novak and Marthe Smith
About This Image
The site as a church dates back over a thousand years, although the present church was constructed between 1234 and 1365 as the church of a college devoted to the cult of Martin of Tours, and since defunct. The current, conspicuous helmet crowning the bell tower was added in 1572 in Renaissance style after a fire. Colmar itself is a commune in the Haut-Rhin department in Alsace in north-eastern France. It is the capital of the department. Colmar is also the seat of the highest jurisdiction in Alsace, the appellate court. It is situated along the Alsatian Wine Route and considers itself to be the "Capital of Alsatian Wine" (capitale des vins d'Alsace). In 2006, the city of Colmar had a population of 65,713 and the metropolitan area of Colmar had a population of 120,367. Colmar is the center of the arrondissement of Colmar, which has 144,700 inhabitants in 2006. Colmar is the home town of the painter and engraver Martin Schongauer and the sculptor Frédéric Bartholdi, who designed the Statue of Liberty. The city is renowned for its well preserved old town, its numerous architectural landmarks and its museums, among which the Unterlinden Museum.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.