Anonymous Girls at Work in What Looks Like a Combination of Home EC and Chemistry Class
Photo Date 1906-07 Print Date 1906-07
Dimensions 7-5/8 x 9-5/8 in. (194 x 244 mm)
Photo Country United States (USA)
Photographer Country United States (USA)
Contact Alex Novak and Marthe Smith
About This Image
From the former Technical High School in Springfield, MA. In 1905, the Technical High School moved from rented space in the Springfield Industrial Institute at Winchester Park into a what was then a "state-of-the-art" campus on Elliot Street. City industry and commerce depended on a well-equipped and competent class of independent thinkers to support its steady technological and financial progress at the turn of the 20th century. An outstanding public school system provided an able workforce whose exacting standards and strong work-ethic resulted in advancements and achievements that resonate throughout the world to this day. At 238 feet long by 214 feet wide, and with a capacity of 900 students, the Technical High School was the largest devoted to the industrial arts in New England at the time of its dedication in 1905. It was famed world wide and was one of the first such schools to offer technical schooling for women.